In an effort to provide an equitable opportunity for students to make professional connections, stay current with developments and advancements in a specific industry or career, and acquire new knowledge and perspectives, a professional development stipend is available from McKelvey Engineering to help defray the costs of attending professional conferences, joining professional organizations, and obtaining specific industry credentials. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
- The stipend was created to support students who need financial assistance to travel to professional conferences, join professional organizations, or obtain industry credentials that could lead to professional connections, internships, and post-grad jobs in industry.
- Examples of professional conferences are AfroTech, Design for Medical Devices Conference, RSA Conference, VERGE Climate Tech Event, etc.
- Examples of professional organizations are National Association of Environmental Professionals, American Chemical Society, Association of Energy Engineers, etc.
- Examples of industry credentials are the FE Exam, LEED GA Certification, Lean Certification, etc.
- All current, full-time students in McKelvey Engineering are eligible to apply.
- The stipend will be used to reimburse actual travel and/or registration expenses after the trip has been completed, after registration has been submitted for professional organizations, or after the credential has been successfully completed.
- Receipts will need to be provided for all reimbursable expenses. Eligible expenses include registration fees, airfare to and from the conference, lodging during the conference, and ground transportation (mileage/ride shares/train) to and from the airport, hotel, and/or conference site. Food, alcohol, and other expenses will not be reimbursed. You will only be reimbursed for expenses up to your specific award amount.
- The exact amount awarded will factor in conference location, travel costs, funding received from other WashU sources such as student groups, and financial need. Financial need is not required, however.
- Priority will be given to students who have not received a stipend in the past.
- Submit an application as early as possible but no later than 15 days prior to the date of the conference or registration deadline. Applications must be submitted in advance of the experience as stipends will not be awarded retroactively.
- Applicants will be notified of the maximum amount to be reimbursed. Reimbursement will only cover actual expenses incurred and may be less than the maximum that was originally awarded.
- In accordance with Washington University policy, applicants will need to provide the following receipts for any expenses to be reimbursed:
-Completed Stipend Reimbursement Form (provided after award notification)
-Conference, organization or industry credential registration receipt
-Coach or economy-class airfare receipt
-Final receipt from hotel (usually provided upon check-out)
-Receipts from taxi rides, ride share (Lyft/Uber/etc…), or subway/train rides
- Awardees will be asked to complete a short form after the event to reflect on the experience and how it contributed to their professional development.